Flat roofs are most commonly inspected with Commercial Building Inspections. The most common reasons for flat roof leaks are:
- Poor drainage areas- if there is nowhere for rain to drain, or snow to melt, your roof acts like a pool. Breakage and damage will occur much faster in roofs with a poor drainage plan. Not to mention the stress of the extra weight on ceiling, and attic structural components.
- Age of the roof-typical life span of tar and gravel, or rubber roof membranes are 50+ years. The picture shows a blistering flat roof membrane- you can also see the low drainage areas.
- Tears in roof membranes, or cracked tar in built up gravel roofs
- Junctions/seams opening up that are not repaired. Roof Maintenance is key to a long lasting flat roof.
- Roof penetrations and flashing should be monitored and repaired. Seasonally on older roofs, maybe every few years on flat roofs under 20 years old.